From Halloween costumes to hemp oil, you can buy just about everything online. However, the question is...should you buy CBD oil on Amazon? When it comes to food, health, and other wellness products that you put into your body, is a mass retailer like Amazon or Whole Foods the right place to turn? Here are all the details you need to know about buying CBD oil and hemp oil on Amazon and at Whole Foods.
Buying CBD Oil at Whole Foods and on Amazon
Buying CBD oil at Whole Foods or on Amazon may be appealing because they are familiar stores where you already shop. However, Whole Foods and Amazon do not currently sell CBD oil. In addition, they are not CBD oil specialists so they may not be the best place to shop even if they did sell CBD oil. Keep reading to learn more!
Are You Looking to Buy Hemp Oil on Amazon or Hemp-Derived CBD Oil on Amazon?
Labels can be tricky. The first thing you should be clear of is the difference between hemp oil and hemp-derived CBD oil. Many people looking to purchase CBD oil for the potential health promoting effects of this hemp-derived compound accidentally buy hemp oil on Amazon.
Hemp oil, which may be great for cooking and cosmetic purposes, does not provide the health benefits of CBD. Amazon also sells hemp extract oil, which refers to any oil product that specifically contains hemp extract. While hemp extract oil can contain cannabinoids like CBD, not all of them do. So, if you are looking for help with a particular health issue, your results are not guaranteed if you shop on Amazon.
You can buy hemp oil on Amazon but
you cannot buy hemp-derived CBD oil on Amazon.
Although these variations of hemp may seem confusing, ultimately, if you are looking for the health benefits of hemp-derived CBD oil on Amazon, you are out of luck. As of January 2019, you cannot buy any type of CBD oil on Amazon.
Amazon’s policy has not yet caught up with federal regulation that removes hemp and hemp-derived products including hemp-derived CBD oil from the Schedule 1 drug list.
CBD Oil on Amazon vs. CBD Oil on Anavii Market
Let's analyze Amazon's top two products when you search for "cbd oil" on their site. This is what comes up:
Wow – there are so many red flags here! Let's go through some of them:
- Price: CBD oil for under $15? A two pack for $25? Nope – what you're actually buying is hemp oil. Real, trusted CBD oil brands are much more expensive. Why? Because they make their products in small batches, use eco-friendly extraction methods, source American hemp, and conduct lab tests. Even though you searched "cbd oil" on Amazon – this stuff above has ZERO CBD in it!
- Labels: Looking kind of promising, right? The labels here use the words "premium", "hemp", and even "doctor" – but it's not real CBD. This fake CBD oil on Amazon is using keywords to deceive you into thinking it's a reputable CBD product. Some reputable keywords to look out for? "Pure cannabinoil" or "cannabinoids" – these are the science-y words that signal real CBD.
- Concentration: Wow, 25,000mg is in that first one? Despite typing "cbd oil" in the search bar, don't be fooled – real CBD comes in concentrations typically ranging from 50mg to 3000mg.
- Lab Reports: Um, where are they? Also known as Certificates of Analysis, lab reports provide complete transparency regarding the product's ingredients. And they're nowhere to be found here. If you can't access the lab report for a CBD product, odds are it's not real CBD.
- Price: $47.95 for 300mg? Much better. Why is it cheaper than the CBD oil on Amazon? This tincture uses hemp sourced from Kentucky, uses ethanol as its extraction method, and is third-party verified!
- Label: Some key phrases that signal real CBD? "Full Spectrum" and "Active Cannabinoids".
- Concentration: Rather than the fake CBD oil on Amazon, this concentration is an appropriate amount – 300mg!
- Lab Report: If you scroll a bit down, you'll see that this product has an ingredient listing, cannabinoid table, and is third-party verified! Here's a snapshot:
Ultimately, the fake CBD oil on Amazon is out to trick you, so make sure you take the correct precautions to not get fooled! Real, natural wellness is not necessarily a two day shipping promise!
Can I Buy CBD oil at Whole Foods Market?
Amazon entered the retail grocery space by acquiring Whole Foods Market in 2017. Since then, Whole Foods Markets across the country have been slowly changing and their products are being incorporated into Amazon’s online grocery offerings. While you can find plenty of hemp-based products in the cosmetic, grocery, and wellness departments at Whole Foods, like their parent-company Amazon, Whole Foods still does not sell hemp-derived CBD oil.
If I Can’t Buy CBD Oil on Amazon or Whole Foods, Where Should I Shop?
While not being able to buy CBD oil on Amazon may seem inconvenient, we think it works in your favor. You can now shop with small, specialty retailers like us - Anavii Market!
We know your time and resources are valuable, which is where we can help. We have deep knowledge of the industry and products, and are personally dedicated to finding and selling only the highest quality hemp-derived CBD oil products. Our founders Annie Rouse and Jason Amatucci have worked in the hemp industry for over a decade. They actively write legislation, consult with manufacturers, and educate the general public on the benefits of hemp for public health and the economy.
We want to share that knowledge with you so that you can be empowered to make the best decision possible. With over 20 years of hemp and CBD experience, Anavii Market can answer any of your questions and help you select the right product for your needs. We don’t think a customer service representative at Amazon can do that ;)
You may not be able to buy CBD oil on Amazon, but now you get to shop small, directly support the hemp industry, and have a hands-on buying experience.
The Future of Buying CBD Oil on Amazon or Whole Foods
Like most large businesses, it will likely take months, maybe years, before you will be able to buy CBD oil on Amazon or at Whole Foods. Big companies like Amazon are typically slow to change their policies.
In addition, big businesses work best when they can scale operations. With niche products like hemp-derived CBD oil, it is important to ensure products are third-party tested in order to verify their contents. Small businesses sell less products so can more easily perform these tests with care. Small businesses are also more nimble and can more quickly adapt to any new developments in testing, as well as adding new products to the shelves.
Verification and batch testing requirements are a vital piece to consider before buying CBD oil on Amazon. Currently, Amazon does not require any companies selling hemp products to abide by streamlined standards, testing, or verification. On the other hand, specialty retailers like us at Anavii Market verify every hemp extract and CBD oil product on our website, and only offer premium hemp-derived CBD oil. The brands we partner with all must undergo verification with independent laboratory testing to ensure that you are getting a both legal and quality CBD.
While living in the age of Amazon and Whole Foods can be convenient, shopping small is your best bet for health-related products like hemp-derived CBD Oil.
Looking for Quality CBD Products? Contact Anavii Market Today!
We hope this article helped you understand why shopping for CBD oil on Amazon and at Whole Foods Market may not be the most reliable path. If you have any questions, which most do, we're here for you! We're happy to discuss any of your CBD questions more in depth so feel free to contact us!.
- Call us at 502-209-8808
- Email us at email@example.com
- Click the chat box icon in the lower right
At Anavii Market, we're here to help your wellness journey through education and our curated collection of high-quality CBD products. All products on our site have passed our industry leading verification process. Our promise is personal.
The products sold on this site and these statements herein have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.